Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Gardening and Justin

So yesterday I was out working in the yard. Justin spent most of the day outdoors with me.

First he decided that sleeping in the house was NOT going to happen. He was so tired and yet so determined to be busy so I threw him into the stroller and took him with me to walk the dogs. 1/2 an hour later, he was in dream land. So I walked home, parked the stroller in the backyard and set to work. I thought he'd be awake in about 1/2 hour. WRONG!!! 2.5 hours he slept in total! I got a lot of work done!

I worked on digging out the stump and roots of the lilac tree. I'm so fed up with that thing. Last year my dad was kind and cut it down for me. A nice man from church hauled it off to the dump for me. (lovely people I have intersecting my life). :) I had hoped to get it dug up last fall but that just didn't happen. Funny how life is.

So...I didn't get it all done but I did get most of the roots out of my flower garden, and... I got a good ring around the stump! I am so looking forward to getting it out!....wonder if I can do it...wonder if my brother Bill will ever get the time off work to come help before clean up.... ah... the wondering. :)

I also got the veggie gardens turned over and the compost mixed as well.

I even had time to put the piggies outside for a couple of hours and get them all cleaned out. If spring continues the way it has the piggies will be outdoors all the time in a couple of weeks. Won't that be nice? I won't have to clean them as frequently, they'll put on grass weight and keep the weeds eaten (from the gardens) (making it much cheaper to feed them)... ah...will be nice to hear wheeks outdoors again. :)

Justin came out with me in the afternoon for a bit. It was fun to walk him around the gardens. I showed him our anemones which were starting to flower, and the crocuses and other spring bulbs. He touched them ever so gently. I showed him what bad plants are....creeping charlie and grass in the flower beds! ARGH!!! Told him we'd have to fight this battle together! He just said "ah" and looked. Not sure he was really all that impressed.

When I walked around back with him he wanted down so I put him to stand next to my small greenhouse...courtesy of my darling husband...and Justin went from standing to crawling RAPIDLY toward our small pond! He thought it was fascinating and almost fell in. This of course caused me to react quickly! I let him splash for a bit then brought him in for a clothes change and good washing. Needless to say, when he went down for a nap, I gave our rather dirty pond a good cleaning. We'll have to watch him this summer that he doesn't fall in if we're not around.

As you can tell, he already has this fascination with fish. :) This is Midas. He is a nasty fish he needs his own aquarium. If you put him with other fish he'll attack them until they die. Apparently in the wild they are a rather peaceful fish, but in captivity they really like having their own space. He is a type of cichlid...from south america I think. I'm sure Jim will correct me if I'm wrong. :)

1 comment:

Rileysowner said...

No corrections needed from me, except some of your spelling, but that is now fixed ;)