Sunday, October 07, 2007

Canadian Thanksgiving


Much to the consternation of my American Friends, The Canadian Thanksgiving weekend comes early... and it's often a reminder to me to get Christmas cards ready to mail. I used to send them out too early until one day, one of them wrote and said HEY, stop sending the cards too early, we just got done OUR thanksgiving! So, I hesitate just a bit longer now. Still get them ready, but just don't send them. :)

Anyways, yesterday we had Thanksgiving with my side of the family.
It would figure on a day when we had to drive a fair piece, Justin would decide, on a rainy morning to sleep in. So we arrived at mom's, instead of the hour early for lunch that we had planned, just in time for the meal to start. :) Ah well, what can one do?

We sat and ate of course!

Justin ate well of pork and beef and applesauce with just a sprinkling of corn. The Jello and Ice cream went down really well too.

Mom cooked us up a nice feast. :) Thanks MOM! :)

We had good conversation around the table. Then Justin took off for the great outdoors and played on the swing with cousin Sierra for a while. It was hot outside so we soon headed back indoors. Justin played trucks (what else? :) ), and the rest of us sat and chatted while cousin Becky took a much needed nap.

Good time had. We all left for home again around 430 p.m.

Today Jim's mom for sure is coming up lunch. We're having turkey and other stuff (I haven't figured out all the "other stuff" yet. :) Which reminds me, I'd best get at it!

Oh... my folks and brother Bill were invited to come down spur of the moment. So we'll have to see what comes of that! :)

5 comments:

jen said...

Sounds great! Hope you all are having a wonderful day, and happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

It does sound very nice... :)

Blessed Thanksgiving!

Mmm said...

Sounds lovely. Is it on a certain date or on a Saturday like here it's oon a Thursday? Pork adn applesauce? Defeintely differnt to here. Do you ever have turkey and, if so, then what do you have for Xmas?

It woudl be nice to have family near by. My mother lives in England, and, as she can't fly (doctor's orders) we only ever see her about every 5 years. It is hard. My kids have only seen their grannie twice.

Annette said...

hi mmmm
Thanksgiving is usually the second, sometimes third weekend in October. There is a rhyme and reason to it, but I've never really researched it. This year it was early.

Most folks do turkey, most others do a ham, same for Christmas. My birth family tends to do whatever we feel like. :) My hubbie's family tends to the more traditional side of things, but even so, will often do chicken because it's cheaper. :) Christmas is much the same (for both sides of the family)

Hard to be without loved one on the holidays. I feel sorry for your children and your mom that they can't know each other more in person. Are you able to foster the relationship regardless?

Baptist Girl said...

I love Thanksgiving and Christmas!
All my kids come home and we decorate the table in a theme, we get out all the good plates and the table looks so colorful. We always have Turkey and Ham and Stuffing and Vegetables and ***GRAVY*****
Now I am not bragging but I make a very delicious gravy, I learned it from my Grandma. Well on this Thanksgiving, I had the Gravy done just a half hour ealy, so I set it aside and got everything ready. Then, when I had most of the meal on the table, I heated up the gravy just a bit to not have it thick and set it on the table. Our guest was slicing the Turkey and he took a little bit longer then usual. We finally got it all on the table and I had to something. While I was doing that my husband and our guest realized that the gravy was thick from siting on the table for a little time.They took my gravy and turned on the tap water and put at least a cup of water in the gravy and put it back on the stove to warm up..WELL...you can guess how my gravy turned out!! If there is one thing I tell my husband is stay out of my Kitchen!! lol...thank you for allowing me to vent! What is Turkey without Gravy. Otherwise it was a great Thanksgivings!
Happy Belated Thanksgivings to you and yours.

Cristina